Candied Nuts

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Some people fantasize about performing an outstanding athletic feat. I see myself spinning smooth, glossy, chewy caramel out of butter, sugar and cream or forming perfectly textured chocolates out of top quality couverture. Not going to happen - at least not without a lot more practice and study than I have put into it yet, since candy making requires a precision and attention to detail that do not come naturally to me in the kitchen. These candied nuts are pretty forgiving - still delicious if the coating is a bit soft or is on the crunchy side. I like to have them on hand during road trips, in packed lunches, or to fill the gap before the next meal. They are great on ice cream or stirred into granola as well.

Bring to boil in large shallow pan 1/4 cup corn syrup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tbs butter, and 1/2 tsp fine to medium salt. Add 4 cups nuts and stir for three minutes. Spread nuts on two oiled pans and toast in a medium oven, stirring once, for about ten minutes til bubbling and very fragrant.

1 comments:

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I've been looking for a candied nut recipe, I can't wait to try this. It sounds simple and foolproof.