A Couple of Salads

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My favourite kind of salad to make and eat is the kind that takes just a few minutes' worth of chopping and mixing and will then keep in the fridge for a while. Both these recipes make a pile of salad, enough for a meal with 4-5 guests or to have on hand for a few days' worth of refreshment for the singles.

This white bean and tomato salad I've been trying to blog for a week and a half; I've made it three times but guests and roommates keep devouring the salad before I can get a picture. Use two cups cooked white beans, about the same amount of tomatos cut the same size as the beans, half a bunch of chopped cilantro, half a cup of lemon juice, half a cup of olive oil, 1 tsp of crushed garlic, and 1 tsp of salt. Mix together and let sit til next day.

The soybean salad I first made as part of the potato salad, and was good enough to make again for its own sake. Steam one and a half pounds shelled fresh soybeans, meanwhile mixing together 2/3 cup white wine vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tbs dried oregano, and 2/3 tsp of salt. Pour dressing over hot soybeans and mix together, then store in fridge. You can eat the salad as soon as the beans have cooled off but it is better the next day.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

ooh yum, great picture. I think i have all the stuff to make the tomato salad already (except the coriander) so it's on the menu for tomorrow.
thanks!

Jenny said...

This soybean salad looks delicious! I love soybeans, but can never think of new things to do with them. I'll be sure to try this recipe soon! Anyway, I'm impressed by your ability to eat on $3 per day. I try and post the total cost for a meal on my blog (tonight's dinner cost about $6-$6.50 for two people) but I don't think it would work out so well if I were making it for one person. Anyway, I like your recipes - I'm definitely going to check the archives now!