Cornbread with Maple Syrup, Cream, and Cranberry Sauce

Monday, December 25, 2006

My grandpa gave me litre bags of wild Saskatchewan cranberries and blueberries when I drove east to visit last weekend. This was like getting bags of gold - wild cranberries have a deep, intense tartness. Due to car trouble I was a day late getting home and the berries were no longer frozen, so I've been eating blueberries and cranberry sauce daily.

This is a dessert for breakfast: cornbread soaked with equal parts cream and maple syrup, and topped with cranberry sauce. Please don't use the stiff, flavourless and overly sweet cranberry sauce in cans for this - if you need a recipe, Elise has a good one.

(The cornbread shown: Mix together 1 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all purpose white flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream mixed with 2/3 cup water and pat into a nine inch square pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for twelve to fifteen minutes. You might have a better recipe; I didn't have any milk or eggs. I cut the bread into nine squares and used four, halved horizontally.)

Mix together 2 tbs cream and 2 tbs maple syrup in a wide shallow bowl and soak thin slices of cornbread in the sweet cream. Arrange cornbread on plates and top with 2 tbs of cranberry sauce each. Serves 2 for breakfast or a filling dessert.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, Pepper!

Always happy to meet another food blogger from Canada!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you had car trouble — not much fun this time of year.

But this sounds and looks lovely, Pepper.

You do some incredible things here.

Anonymous said...

i am now living happily without take-out thanks to you and i am saving money to boot, keep up the good work!

Pepper said...

(blush)

Anonymous said...

Hello & Happy New Year from down under in New Zealand. Another great recipe - dare I risk trying it ? Keep them coming.
Hope you have a good one.

Anonymous said...

This sounds incredibly delicious and I can't wait to make it. The only problem is that where I live in Colorado, the mega-stores only sell cranberries during the holidays. I've gone to 2 separate chains and no berries despite me having bought and made cranberry sauce not 3 weeks earlier. *sigh* I guess I gotta make my way to the Whole Foods or Wild Oats. I love going, just out of the way.