Bedspread Noodles

Saturday, May 24, 2008

My friends and I were extremely lucky that nobody was hurt or inconvenienced more than a few nights' worth of open air sleeping, but it's been a rough couple of weeks since the earthquake and we are still wobbled by aftershocks. (The water in the water cooler is moving as I type.)

Bedspread noodles are comfort food for after a disaster - wide sheets of noodle dough in broth with the usual suspects for toppings - suan cai, beef, plain or spicy stewed chicken, and others. Ribs are shown. When I took the picture I had no idea that there were stewed dried peas hiding in the sheets and the combination was unpretentious and perfect. I almost felt like I was eating an Italian pasta and bean soup. Chinese name: 铺盖面 (pu1gai4 mian).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you were safe from the earthquake!

Bobbisox said...

Be Safe!!! My best wishes to you, your friends and everyone in China. We get earthquakes in California too and there is not quite anything as terrifying as that. I am glad you are safe and fed. May it continue.