Dumplings for Biscuit Mix Day

Wednesday, March 14, 2007
The superb Mimi has a biscuit mix event going on and this is my entry. Dumplings cooked on top of stew or soup are very comforting and I love the economy of cooking them in the same pot and burner as your main course. They are very fast to make if you have the mix on hand. I made these to eat with a feeling-better chicken soup that I've been eating over the past few days.

Start the stew heating, and measure biscuit mix - I use 2/3 cup per person, or less if the stew is full of starchy things like potatoes. Sprinkle with milk, by the tablespoon, until you have a soft dough, and if desired add some seasoning that will go with your stew. (You could add some sharp cheese if you are making the lentil and tomato soup.) Drop by tablespoons on the hot surface, without crowding. Cover well, preferably with a glass lid to watch, and cook for about twelve minutes until dumplings are cooked through and fluffy - they need the lid left on during cooking time to rise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh that looks delicious! And so simple!

Unknown said...

Oh my, that is just lovely looking. I shouldn't read blogs on an empty stomach!

Thank you, Pepper!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture. How is the light in China?

Pepper said...

Gray all the time - much different than back home, 'anonymous'. Would be tough to tell, say, the exact time of sundown.

Maggie said...

Yum, that looks good. I love dumplings, I don't know why I don't make them more often.